Passenger speaks out about masturbating bus driver
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The bus passenger who recorded a driver performing a lewd act while behind the wheel is speaking out.
She says she was appalled and recorded it in case nobody believed what she witnessed.
That bus rider says she is still traumatized over the experience.
Even though she's received no threats, she claims she is so worried about possible retaliation, she asked us not to use her name or clearly show her face.
"I was in shock, disbelief, very confused," said the woman who caught the driver in the act.
This 38-year-old librarian says she couldn't believe what she was seeing on a packed NJ Transit bus; the driver had unzipped his pants, and started masturbating.
"I decided to start videotaping because it would be my word against him, no one would believe me," she said, "If I didn't no one would believe that something that disgusting took place."
"I was holding it to my chest and hoping he wouldn't turn around and see me," the passenger said, "That really scared me to think he's probably mentally ill."
She was careful to show where it happened, starting on the New Jersey side of the Lincoln Tunnel and he continued as they went through it.
"Was there any point you thought to say, what are you doing?" Sarah Wallace asked.
"I wasn't sure how he would react," she said.
"When he was finished he took some baby wipes and cleaned himself off and called someone on his phone," the passenger said. She says she was actually trembling when she reported the incident to police who later charged 41-year-old George Simpson Jr. with committing a lewd act, and creating a risk of serious injury to passengers.
He's now out of jail on $2,500 bail.
"I couldn't decide whether to report it or keep it to myself for fear about my safety," the passenger said.
The librarian is back taking the bus, but her attorney says she has suffered emotional distress and has now filed a notice of claim against NJ Transit.
"A lot of people say it's no big deal, it is a big deal," said Patrick Metz, attorney.
NJ Transit immediately suspended the driver without pay and is looking to fire him.
He is due back in court next month.
If you have a tip about this or any other issue you'd like investigated, please give our tipline a call at 877-TIP-NEWS. You may also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
bus, sex crime, sex, new jersey transit, investigations, sarah wallace
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 59 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 46 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 15 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
15 min ago