Dead man's identity allegedly stolen by ex-con
NEW YORK (WABC) -- He's accused of being a brazen imposter, stealing a dead man's identity. Now, a Brooklyn ex-con is busted and charged with all sorts of new crimes.
The amazing part: the accused thief is still claiming he's the dead man. You just might call this a case of dead man walking.
"Mr. Lizandro, could you please tell us why you stole a dead man's identity?" I asked him.
But Louis Lizandro is denying it still, even after being arrested by Brooklyn District Attorney investigators for identity theft and other charges.
"Bobby James Standifier," he says is his name.
But the real Bobby Standifier was a U.S. citizen who died in Panama in the late '90's. We found his death certificate. He and his brother, Ernie, who later moved to Brooklyn, knew Lizandro in Panama from a Reggae band.
Ernie told us Lizandro stole his brother's identity.
"Yeah, he stole it," Ernie said.
The brother says he had no idea Lizandro had illegally used Bobby's name to get into the U.S. and was living in Ernie's neighborhood in Brooklyn. He says he repeatedly confronted Lizandro, a known neighborhood drug dealer.
"Yeah. He just don't care," Ernie explained. "He just don't care. It's my word against his. He says you gotta prove it."
Lizandro's been in and out of jail and prison where he served two years for selling drugs, as Bobby Standifier.
He also has been allegedly collecting government benefits, food stamps, and medical benefits.
"He was taking advantage of the people who pay taxes every single day, every single week, every single month," Joel Greenwald, Asst. Brooklyn District Attorney, said.
What's perhaps hardest for Ernie, he was at his brother's bedside when he died of Tuberculosis in Panama.
"He actually died in my arms," Ernie said.
Lizandro says Ernie is wrong, and continues to insist that he is Bobby Standifier. Lizandro has been booked under his real name. He's also charged with gun possession. He says he's not guilty.
If you have a tip about this or any other issue you'd like investigated, please give our tipline a call at 877-TIP-NEWS. You may also e-mail us at email@example.com.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
crime, id theft, identity theft, investigations, sarah wallace
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 54 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 32 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus 42 min ago
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl 50 min ago
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn 43 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia 8 min ago
- Backpacks left at Boaston marathon finish...
57 min ago
- Community rallies around 13-year-old victim...
44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
32 min ago
- Party bus goes very awry on Long Island
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos