Rapid Repairs leaves huge hole on side of home
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- New York City's Rapid Repairs program brought the heat back on for a homeowner after Superstorm Sandy, but workers left a big hole on the side of the house.
This is how Rapid Repairs crews left one Staten Island home after fixing the heating pipes.
"The hole was just so, it was shocking, just shocking," said Kathy Barzal, a Staten Island homeowner.
The contractor told her it was easier to fix the pipes from the outside then from inside the house. For two days, the homeowner made calls to get the hole fixed.
Only after calling her Congressman did Rapid Repairs come Friday morning to patch up the damage.
"How many more people are going through the exact same thing?" Barzal said.
"Look at the way they ran the wires, they popped holes in the ceilings," said Anthony Muzio, a Staten Island homeowner.
A few blocks away, Eyewitness News found another homeowner upset with Rapid Repairs' disrepair.
"They were going to leave me with wiring that was sticking out of outlets and live, I was about to lose mind. (Dangerous?) Absolutely," Muzio said.
Last week, an Eyewitness News investigation documented shoddy, even dangerous, restoration work at homes throughout the city.
"There was sparking and arcing," said Roberta Klein, a homeowner.
In one case, an independent electrician confirmed that new wiring by Rapid Repairs crews created a potential fire trap
"A few violations?" Eyewitness News Investigative reporter Jim Hoffer asked.
"A few? You got more than a few violations in here," said Gary Raymond, an electrician.
"Is it dangerous?" Hoffer asked.
"Yes," Raymond said.
If you have a tip about this or any other issue you'd like investigated, please give our tipline a call at 877-TIP-NEWS. You may also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
staten island, superstorm sandy, investigations, jim hoffer
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 43 min ago
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 43 min ago
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 20 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns' 48 min ago
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash...
43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather...
23 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos