Can evidence be salvaged from Lanza's computer?
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's at an FBI computer Lab in Virginia where Adam Lanza's damaged hard drive is undergoing electronic analysis.
Whether investigators can salvage any information will depend on the extent of the damage to the discs or platters inside the drive.
"If these platters are intact law enforcement can read data from those platters," Eric Friedberg of Stroz/ Friedberg said.
He said even if hardware and electronics are damaged, data can be retrieved.
Friedberg is a reknowned computer forensic crime expert. His company Stroz/Friedberg has retrieved information from damaged hard drives in big criminal cases and in terrorism investigations. His firm is not involved in this investigation. However, Friedberg says even if reports are true that Lanza took a hammer or screw driver to his discs, retrieval of some information is still possible: "Still theoretically possible to get information off that disc, so may not get a whole file or whole email but partial email," Friedberg said.
But what if Lanza destroyed those discs? Does his digital trail disappear? : "The digital footprint is not erased because the hard drive goes," Tony Fish, computer expert, said.
Fish, author of the book Digital Footprint, says while Lanza did not have a Facebook or Twitter account, he likely had an email account, such as G-Mail or Yahoo!
"It means they have a copy of that data as well and because they have a copy of that data, it's available to be searched and indexed and recovered. So the data is there," Fish said.
Lanza liked computers. He belonged to his high school tech club. While he reportedly tried to destroy his digital clues, it's nearly impossible to erase completely one's web footprint: "Having snippets of information can put you on a good enough lead allowing you to unlock things," Fish said.
If you have a tip about this or any other issue you'd like investigated, please give our tipline a call at 877-TIP-NEWS. You may also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, investigations, jim hoffer
- UK: Victim in London attack was serving soldier
- AccuWeather: Stormy day 12 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women
- Truck driver helps catch hit-and-run suspect in Queens
- Oklahoma residents begin hard recovery after tornado
- Anthony Weiner to court voters in Harlem Thursday 57 min ago
- Jersey City boy killed outside home to be laid to rest 52 min ago
- Suspects in New York-Canada train plot due in court
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- abcnews: Oklahoma tornado: Before and after photos 31 min ago
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
12 min ago