Classes teach New York City kids bike safety
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Any parent who is raising their children in New York City can attest that there are some things that can be tougher to do in the city versus the suburbs.
Like teaching your kids how to ride a bike, even in a city that is seemingly so bike-friendly.
But there are now two programs to help parents and make it safe for kids to join in on the fun.
At one class, Raven Hampton was learning to stop.
"I got so scared, I couldn't find the brakes. I started pedaling to fast, I was like oh no!," said Raven.
But there's no such thing as a mistake, just a lesson to be learned at Bike New York's free summer cycling classes for kids.
The kids learn to balance, steer and signal.
But the lesson is not just about safety. They're learning that riding a bike can be a healthy active mode of transportation
"We did an amazing bike ride," said 11-year old Jordan Johnson. "We went all the way by the highway, it was awesome!"
"We want to sort of plant that idea in kids minds that a bike is the best way to get around New York," said Richard Conroy, director of education for Bike New York.
Some of these city kids have their own bikes, while others are just getting started.
With nine camps around town, Bike New York trains about 2,000 kids a summer from non-profit camps.
They also offer free weekend classes for any child, taking kids from training wheels to two wheels.
"You didn't know how to ride a bike when you came in, you know how to ride a bike when you leave," said Conroy.
If you're teaching your own kids, a lot of it is about confidence building so they learn to love it.
Funding for the program comes primarily from the 5 Borough Bike Tour.
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
10 min ago