Sugar detox program for those who crave sweets
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Do you often crave sweets?
You could be a sugar addict.
It might not be easy to kick the habit, but the author of a new book says she's come up with steps that can help you overcome the urge.
There are countless guides on the sugar cleanse, even one for so-called sugar addicts.
The latest book: The 'Sugar Detox' by registered dietitian Brooke Alpert.
"We re really anti adding sugar into foods," Alpert said.
Brooke advocates going cold turkey for three days, cutting out all sugar, from the obvious, like candy and cakes, to even healthy choices: all fruits and vegetables.
The idea is to break the cycle of sugar addiction, but it's not easy.
And there's a reason why: studies show the body thinks sugar is a drug.
After the detox, over the next four weeks more natural sugars are slowly added back into the diet.
"So week one you add back the apples, the yogurt, you bring back red wine and each week we gradually add more and more," said Alpert.
More dairy, fruit, and whole grains, even a little dark chocolate.
The plan allows for dessert twice a week, but you have to give up another serving of carbs, and while you can eat so-called 'good fruits' like apples and berries, Brooke advises staying away from fruits like watermelon, bananas and pineapples.
"While they are healthy for you, they are high in sugar and this is a low sugar diet," she said.
Dr. Ronald Tamler is director of the Mount Sinai Diabetes Center.
He says for most healthy people there is no harm in giving up sugar cold turkey for a few days, but that doesn't guarantee long term success.
"There are many paths that lead to a healthier you, and a three day diet may not be something that is sustainable in the long-term," said Dr. Tamler.
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 49 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 34 min ago
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 38 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 20 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 3 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 8 min ago
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
20 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos