Foods to quench your thirst when it's hot
NEW YORK (WABC) -- As we sweat through what feels like the dog days of summer, a word of caution about staying hydrated. It doesn't mean you have to down glass after glass of water. Some foods can do the trick too.
Honeydew melons, cantaloupe, watermelon, and even oranges are just some of the foods that are hidden sources of water.
"Some foods are over 90% water, so foods such as iceberg lettuce, spinach has a lot of water, asparagus has a lot of water and then, some of our fruits," Kristin Kirkpatrick of Cleveland Clinic said.
Iceberg lettuce is 96% water and contains potassium and foliate.
Watermelon can also get fluid back into your system on a hot, sunny day. It's 90% water and contains cancer fighting antioxidants.
Eating grapefruit at breakfast will help hydrate you because grapefruit is 90% water and packed with vitamin c.
Veggies have less water than fruit, but cucumbers and broccoli are high-water content vegetables, and if you're looking for something a little different, try re-hydrating with some kohlrabi.
"Kohlrabi is both high in folate, as well as high in water content. So, kohlrabi is a great source for us to get a little bit of hydration, Kirkpatrick said.
food, hot weather, summer, health news, diana williams
- Fire tears through Carlstadt post office 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 44 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire 18 min ago
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos