How healthy are those items on the menu?
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There are a lot of foods on menus that sound healthier than they really are.
Just because something has the word "spinach" in it, doesn't always make it a healthy choice.
"A serving of spinach and artichoke dip, if you have a bowl in front of you, you can easily take in 800-1000 calories," Kristin Kirkpatrick, R.D., of Cleveland Clinic, said.
That's because of the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise that's in there too.
When it comes to soup, you probably know cream-based soups are worse, but a big bowl of French onion soup with melted cheese is no better -- 1000 calories and 4000 milligrams of salt.
Not all salads are created equal, especially if there's bacon and blue cheese on it
"One study found a Cobb salad actually has more calories and fat than a cheeseburger," Kirkpatrick said.
At some restaurants, you can now see the calorie counts on the menu -- and a recent report by consumer reports found most are pretty accurate. But wherever you are, when reading the menu 5 words to watch out for-- "battered," "creamy," "crispy," "crusted," or "stuffed."
They're all signs it's probably not healthy. They're also signs that it's gonna taste really good! So the message is not to avoid these foods completely -- just don't kid yourself and think you're eating healthy.
food, restaurant, health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest 53 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay 55 min ago
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze...
53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
31 min ago
- Russians, Crimeans discuss referendum on...
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos