How healthy are those items on the menu?
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There are a lot of foods on menus that sound healthier than they really are.
Just because something has the word "spinach" in it, doesn't always make it a healthy choice.
"A serving of spinach and artichoke dip, if you have a bowl in front of you, you can easily take in 800-1000 calories," Kristin Kirkpatrick, R.D., of Cleveland Clinic, said.
That's because of the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise that's in there too.
When it comes to soup, you probably know cream-based soups are worse, but a big bowl of French onion soup with melted cheese is no better -- 1000 calories and 4000 milligrams of salt.
Not all salads are created equal, especially if there's bacon and blue cheese on it
"One study found a Cobb salad actually has more calories and fat than a cheeseburger," Kirkpatrick said.
At some restaurants, you can now see the calorie counts on the menu -- and a recent report by consumer reports found most are pretty accurate. But wherever you are, when reading the menu 5 words to watch out for-- "battered," "creamy," "crispy," "crusted," or "stuffed."
They're all signs it's probably not healthy. They're also signs that it's gonna taste really good! So the message is not to avoid these foods completely -- just don't kid yourself and think you're eating healthy.
food, restaurant, health news, dr. sapna parikh
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos