Can the changing temperatures make you sick?
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The weather is all over the place these days and now the question is, does all the changes in the temps. make you sick?
The sun is shining, the shirt's are off and the sunglasses are on.
"Days like this will get you really excited for spring and summer ,and stuff and then days like tomorrow will be like just kidding," said Catherine Ceico.
Just kidding because it's going to change.
"The weather has a big affect on me personally i don't know about other people," said Lawrynce Cecio.
Most people would agree, sudden weather changes can make you feel under the weather. It can't actually make you sick, you need to be exposed to the actual bacteria or viruses.
But it can weaken your immune system and make you more susceptible to those germs.
"This time of year we see a lot of colds all the different viruses that cause colds , and strep is going around we're seeing plenty of that," said Dr. Cathleen London.
Family practitioner Dr. London says she's always busy in the spring.
"When patients come in telling me "all these weather changes- now I'm sick" some of that's real it is a stress on your body," she adds.
And the changing conditions can cause certain symptoms. Cold air can make your nose run and constrict airways.
And if there's a storm on the way, the atmospheric pressure changes can cause joint pain or even migraine headaches for some people.
And after the rain, the rise in pollen can make your allergy symptoms worse. So get out in the sunshine now and when the temperature drops- do what you can to boost your own immune system--exercise, and sleep.
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- At least 1 dead, 15 hurt in East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 17 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25