YMCA group helping kids cope with Sandy memories
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- Counselors from the YMCA of greater New York help local students cope with the post traumatic stress of Superstorm Sandy.
Yellow means It's not too scary, green would mean it's not scary at all
Kids at PS 39 and PS 52 on Staten Island are part of a new 12 week program. Counselors from the YMCA of greater New York help them cope with the post traumatic stress of Superstorm Sandy.
"There's a lot of anxiety both in relation to what they've seen and witnessed themselves but also there's secondary trauma so a lot of kids are talking about what they've seen," said Jacqueline Fiore, Director at YMCA Counseling Service.
Funded by Americares, they're also training counselors and doctors in other hard hit areas.
"We think it's really important that we support interventions that help give children the tools they need to deal with those feelings so they don't become longer term issues," said Garrett Ingoglia.
Rima Vishnevsky is the mother of two sons, 7 and 8 years old.
"We showed them water in the basement there was still waist high water they saw that and they were afraid to go home," she said.
And now months later they're still asking if they can move.
"My younger son tells me is the hurricane going to come on October 29th again," she adds.
It's thought that about a quarter of all children directly impacted by a trauma still have symptoms months later "Some kids may be fearful to go to school some kids may have nightmares in the middle of the night. Some families and some kids are gonna need extra help- being able to reach out and ask for help is the biggest thing I could recommend," adds Fiore.
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy 18 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 31 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 28 min ago
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo 6 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos