Patients admit they lie to their doctors
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Admit it, your doctor asks you a question you really don't want to answer, so you might employ a little "selective truth telling". In other words, a little white lie.
"I'm guilty about lying about my asthma basically i just don't want to go on medicines sometimes," said Shannon Doyle.
Dr. Francis Faustino is chief of family practice at Winthrop University Hospital, he says you and your doctor should be a team.
"It takes time and it's a physician patient relationship that needs to be developed so that your patient will tell you the truth," he said.
MJ Pellegrino says she is completely innocent. "I have never lied to my doctor but I take my parents to the doctor all the time and they tell many lies."
So why is it that patients lie?
"I guess in the back of your mind you wish you were a little thinner or lighter that are," said Bill Olson.
Some people downplay symptoms out of fear of a diagnosis.
Others create symptoms to get a certain test or antibiotics.
And the biggest reason patients lie is because they don't want to disappoint their doctor
But it's not worth it, to disappoint your doctor.
If you're not really taking your medication, fess up or your doctor may raise the dose to a level you don't need.
If you're taking supplements, say so, they may interact with prescription medication.
And if you feel like you can't tell the truth because your doctor is judging you, it's time for a new doctor.
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act