Patients admit they lie to their doctors
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Admit it, your doctor asks you a question you really don't want to answer, so you might employ a little "selective truth telling". In other words, a little white lie.
"I'm guilty about lying about my asthma basically i just don't want to go on medicines sometimes," said Shannon Doyle.
Dr. Francis Faustino is chief of family practice at Winthrop University Hospital, he says you and your doctor should be a team.
"It takes time and it's a physician patient relationship that needs to be developed so that your patient will tell you the truth," he said.
MJ Pellegrino says she is completely innocent. "I have never lied to my doctor but I take my parents to the doctor all the time and they tell many lies."
So why is it that patients lie?
"I guess in the back of your mind you wish you were a little thinner or lighter that are," said Bill Olson.
Some people downplay symptoms out of fear of a diagnosis.
Others create symptoms to get a certain test or antibiotics.
And the biggest reason patients lie is because they don't want to disappoint their doctor
But it's not worth it, to disappoint your doctor.
If you're not really taking your medication, fess up or your doctor may raise the dose to a level you don't need.
If you're taking supplements, say so, they may interact with prescription medication.
And if you feel like you can't tell the truth because your doctor is judging you, it's time for a new doctor.
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 3 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Suspense builds for season finale of 'Scandal'
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
3 min ago