Patients admit they lie to their doctors
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Admit it, your doctor asks you a question you really don't want to answer, so you might employ a little "selective truth telling". In other words, a little white lie.
"I'm guilty about lying about my asthma basically i just don't want to go on medicines sometimes," said Shannon Doyle.
Dr. Francis Faustino is chief of family practice at Winthrop University Hospital, he says you and your doctor should be a team.
"It takes time and it's a physician patient relationship that needs to be developed so that your patient will tell you the truth," he said.
MJ Pellegrino says she is completely innocent. "I have never lied to my doctor but I take my parents to the doctor all the time and they tell many lies."
So why is it that patients lie?
"I guess in the back of your mind you wish you were a little thinner or lighter that are," said Bill Olson.
Some people downplay symptoms out of fear of a diagnosis.
Others create symptoms to get a certain test or antibiotics.
And the biggest reason patients lie is because they don't want to disappoint their doctor
But it's not worth it, to disappoint your doctor.
If you're not really taking your medication, fess up or your doctor may raise the dose to a level you don't need.
If you're taking supplements, say so, they may interact with prescription medication.
And if you feel like you can't tell the truth because your doctor is judging you, it's time for a new doctor.
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- At least 2 dead, 28 hurt in East Harlem explosion 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Metro-North service changes due to East Harlem explosion
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East... 51 min ago
- Video: How will the East Harlem explosion affect...
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15...
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion...
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination