Dystextia: Warning signs of stroke in texting?
NEW YORK (WABC) -- In a new case report, doctors at Henry Ford Hospital in Michigan describe their 40 year old patient with Dystextia.
"Dystextia is a new buzzword that has come on recently, and what it actually means is there's a disruption in the function of the patient, when they can't text, they can't type," said Dr. Omran Kaskar.
That inability to text turned out to be the only sign this man was having a stroke. The first text to his wife said "oh baby your", then "I am happy" but two minutes later he wrote "I am out of it, just woke up, can't make sense, I can't even type, call if ur awake, love you"
Scans confirmed the patient had a stroke in the region of the brain called Broca's area which is responsible for language and speech.
"We tested all of his components of language, meaning writing, reading, comprehension, spoken word," adds Dr. Kaskar.
It was all normal except when they asked him to type the phrase "The doctor needs a new blackberry'" the patient typed instead typed ""The Doctor nddds a new bb".
Even more concerning-he thought there was nothing wrong with it.
Last December, doctors reported another case of Dystextia- a 25 year old pregnant woman who was texting her husband incoherent messages and having a stroke. Those read, "Every where thinging days nighing" "Some is where!"
Neurologist Dr. Kaskar says Dystextia may be a new tool to help detect a stroke especially in a younger population.
But it's only tool , and you can't, of course, assume every garbled and grammatically incorrect text means someone's having a stroke.
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos