Dystextia: Warning signs of stroke in texting?
NEW YORK (WABC) -- In a new case report, doctors at Henry Ford Hospital in Michigan describe their 40 year old patient with Dystextia.
"Dystextia is a new buzzword that has come on recently, and what it actually means is there's a disruption in the function of the patient, when they can't text, they can't type," said Dr. Omran Kaskar.
That inability to text turned out to be the only sign this man was having a stroke. The first text to his wife said "oh baby your", then "I am happy" but two minutes later he wrote "I am out of it, just woke up, can't make sense, I can't even type, call if ur awake, love you"
Scans confirmed the patient had a stroke in the region of the brain called Broca's area which is responsible for language and speech.
"We tested all of his components of language, meaning writing, reading, comprehension, spoken word," adds Dr. Kaskar.
It was all normal except when they asked him to type the phrase "The doctor needs a new blackberry'" the patient typed instead typed ""The Doctor nddds a new bb".
Even more concerning-he thought there was nothing wrong with it.
Last December, doctors reported another case of Dystextia- a 25 year old pregnant woman who was texting her husband incoherent messages and having a stroke. Those read, "Every where thinging days nighing" "Some is where!"
Neurologist Dr. Kaskar says Dystextia may be a new tool to help detect a stroke especially in a younger population.
But it's only tool , and you can't, of course, assume every garbled and grammatically incorrect text means someone's having a stroke.
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Newtown 911 calls released
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs 39 min ago
- Woman charged with setting minivan fire, kids inside
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease 28 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013