Baby boomers trying new trapese workout
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Many baby boomers are now trying something rather interesting to get in shape by swiveling, swooping and soaring on a trapeze.
Patty Hirsch has been swinging on the high rings for 45 years.
"It's fun, it's become a way of life," she said.
She takes part in an adult gymnastics class at True Pilates in midtown. They work out on the mat and in the air, on rings and a trapeze. Its one if the few places focusing on a more mature generation.
"It gives me strength it gives me perseverance you just move easier during the day ," said Janie Fox.
All the women Eyewitness News spoke to are in their 60's and 70s.
"People hear the word gymnastics and they flinch a little bit our philosophy is you come through the door and we'll figure out what you can do," said Tom Gesimondo, co-owner of True Pilates.
Geriatric specialist Dr. Michael Perskin says it's never too late to start.
"Almost every disease that's common as we get older is improved with exercise," he said.
And maintaining flexibility and balance can prevent falls and injuries.
The key is trying to prevent injury.
To do it safely you have to take it step by step build up strength before you jump on those rings.
And the best advice for injury prevention? Listen to your body, all the women told me if it hurts, they don't do it.
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 24 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field 35 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos