Study: Women more stressed at work after first birth
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A disturbing new study out today about working moms and stress.
The study claims the level of stress new mothers face when they return to work can send stress levels through the roof and undermine her ability to cope.
If you're stressed at work, chances are you feel like your employer doesn't really care. A new national survey from the American Psychological Association confirms that most workers believe their employers are unresponsive to your needs.
And the problem may be worse for women, with more women than men reporting they feel less valued.
"Women have more demands today than ever before demands in the workplace demands outside of work, and of course that leads to greater stress," said Tory Johnson, CEO of Women for Hire.
Workplace stress may be even greater for new mothers going back to work after having a baby. You have to prove yourself all over again.
"There's often times, whether right or wrong, a perception among some bosses that "oh new mom, she 's not really fully committed"," adds Johnson.
You might know her from Secret Sales on Eyewitness News at 4, but Tory is the founder and CEO of 2 businesses designed to help women in the workplace. For new moms going back to work--she says:
"Go the extra mile to share the results you're achieving because stepping up that communication really serves to reinforce that you're in it, that you want to be there," she adds.
And if you feel like you're being treated differently at work because you now have a child there are government guidelines for what's considered discrimination
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- President Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy 14 min ago
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow 43 min ago
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes 23 min ago
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide