7 foods you should eat while dieting
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Usually when you start a weight loss plan, you think about all the foods you can't eat.
But, it turns out there are some foods that have just gotten a bad rap.
Lots of people think peanut butter is a diet no-no; too high in fat and calories to indulge in when trying to drop the pounds.
But in fact, peanut butter is a healthy choice.
"Peanut butter is actually a great source of vitamins and minerals, as well as those mono-unsaturated fats that really tend to help us feel fuller longer," said Amy Jamieson-Petonic, R.D., Cleveland Clinic.
Just make sure to go natural.
Choose a peanut butter that's Trans fats free and eat just one to two tablespoons per day.
Don't pass over the pasta. Choose 100% whole grain pasta; it's a good source of B vitamins.
Yes, skip the fries, but not the baked potatoes. They have lots of nutrients and will help you feel fuller, longer.
But no butter, instead, try some Greek yogurt.
Also, don't ever chuck cheese from your diet.
"The important piece to remember about cheese is the amount and we're talking about one ounce. What cheese is going to give us are vitamins, minerals, protein, and calcium, that's going to give us what we need. And notoriously women tend to be low in calcium," said Jamieson-Petonic.
Make sure to eat eggs. They have about six grams of protein and 65 calories per medium-sized egg.
Also partake in nuts, any kind will do.
They're rich in unsaturated fatty acids and other nutrients; just make sure they're salt free and not candied.
Even smoothies are a great diet choice
Just make sure you make it with fruit and low fat yogurt. It's guaranteed to satisfy any ice-cream craving.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
dieting, health news, dr. jay adlersberg
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- 17-year-old brutally beaten with bat at gas station
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn.
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos