7 foods you should eat while dieting
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Usually when you start a weight loss plan, you think about all the foods you can't eat.
But, it turns out there are some foods that have just gotten a bad rap.
Lots of people think peanut butter is a diet no-no; too high in fat and calories to indulge in when trying to drop the pounds.
But in fact, peanut butter is a healthy choice.
"Peanut butter is actually a great source of vitamins and minerals, as well as those mono-unsaturated fats that really tend to help us feel fuller longer," said Amy Jamieson-Petonic, R.D., Cleveland Clinic.
Just make sure to go natural.
Choose a peanut butter that's Trans fats free and eat just one to two tablespoons per day.
Don't pass over the pasta. Choose 100% whole grain pasta; it's a good source of B vitamins.
Yes, skip the fries, but not the baked potatoes. They have lots of nutrients and will help you feel fuller, longer.
But no butter, instead, try some Greek yogurt.
Also, don't ever chuck cheese from your diet.
"The important piece to remember about cheese is the amount and we're talking about one ounce. What cheese is going to give us are vitamins, minerals, protein, and calcium, that's going to give us what we need. And notoriously women tend to be low in calcium," said Jamieson-Petonic.
Make sure to eat eggs. They have about six grams of protein and 65 calories per medium-sized egg.
Also partake in nuts, any kind will do.
They're rich in unsaturated fatty acids and other nutrients; just make sure they're salt free and not candied.
Even smoothies are a great diet choice
Just make sure you make it with fruit and low fat yogurt. It's guaranteed to satisfy any ice-cream craving.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
dieting, health news, dr. jay adlersberg
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos