Obesity and car crash death risk
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Being obese may increase the risk of dying in a car crash.
Researchers at U.C. Berkeley examined fatal crash data over a 12-year period.
They found 51 % of those killed were either overweight or obese.
The researchers point out the lower body of obese drivers is pushed forward further on impact because the seatbelt doesn't fit the pelvis area properly.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health alert, obesity, health news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 12 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
12 min ago