Obesity and car crash death risk
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Being obese may increase the risk of dying in a car crash.
Researchers at U.C. Berkeley examined fatal crash data over a 12-year period.
They found 51 % of those killed were either overweight or obese.
The researchers point out the lower body of obese drivers is pushed forward further on impact because the seatbelt doesn't fit the pelvis area properly.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health alert, obesity, health news
- AccuWeather Alert: Stormy day 10 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy 44 min ago
- Threat prompts lockdown at Saddle Brook schools 25 min ago
- UK: London terror attack suspects had been probed
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women
- Truck driver helps catch hit-and-run suspect in Queens
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday 28 min ago
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Operation Swill: cheap booze in premium liquor bottles
- Photos: Accuweather forecast in pictures
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem...
28 min ago
- AccuWeather Alert: Stormy day
10 min ago