Norovirus also spreading across country
NEW YORK (WABC) -- We've heard a lot about the flu outbreak across the country, but there's something else that's making the rounds right now, making people sick. It's the Norovirus.
"Just couldn't stop throwing up to the stomach pain, said Everage Lyons, a patient.
Everage Lyons says she's been miserable.
Her doctors say Norovirus may to blame; a stomach bug that causes a long list of unpleasant symptoms.
"Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps," said Dr. Barry Rosenthal, Chairman of Department of Emergency Medicine at Winthrop University Hospital.
Dr. Barry Rosenthal is Director of the Winthrop Hospital emergency room on Long Island. He says Norovirus is adding to the current flu confusion.
"We have three viruses going on right now. There's the influenza virus, there is a virus that causes the common cold which is rhinovirus, and then there's Norovirus," Dr. Rosenthal said.
But most people call everything the flu
"The influenza virus does not typically cause gastrointestinal symptoms. If one has nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, feeling feverish, chances are they do not have influenza," Dr. Rosenthal said.
But you may have Norovirus. It's known as the cruise ship virus, where outbreaks often occur.
It spreads, when people consume contaminated food or water, have contact with infected people, or touch contaminated objects.
Now there is a new strain of Norovirus.
It began in Sydney, Australia and spread worldwide with six confirmed cases in New York.
But Norovirus is hard to track. Most doctors don't test for it and unless your symptoms are really bad, and most people don't even go to the doctor
The state health department says so far this season, there has been no overall increase in Norovirus outbreaks, but individual cases are not routinely counted.
It's not clear if symptoms of the new strain will be more severe. The CDC says it will continue to monitor it.
We all use the alcohol hand sanitizer, but studies show it does not work against Norovirus.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 6 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges coming in death of Baruch College student, prosecutor...
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar 37 min ago
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral 45 min ago
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
6 min ago