Getting flu vaccine without having to travel
NEW YORK (WABC) -- We have seen how difficult it has been for some folks to find the flu vaccine.
But now instead of going out and searching for it, the shot is coming to you.
The truck, parked in Garretson Beach, Brooklyn every day from 9 to 5 offers medical care and flu shots.
"I've never gotten the flu shot before but I have a newborn this year," said John Dewitt.
Dewitt is is getting flu shot as Thomas Sullivan feels like he has the flu.
"I was feeling rundown with flu like symptoms," he said.
But at least help is close to home.
"I didn't have to wait in the doctors office, I could just walk down the street," he adds.
The truck is one of 3 mobile medical buses run by Coney Island hospital, focusing on areas hardest hit by storm Sandy.
"It's terrific for the people in the neighborhood after sandy half the people have no cars," adds Dewitt.
On board here are two doctors for adult and pediatric patients.
"Children are coming in with a lot runny noses sore throats and headaches," said Dr. Shashikala Pillai.
They say they've been seeing up to 50 patients a day and the number of people asking for flu shots this past week has quadrupled.
Insurance is accepted if you have it, but otherwise the services and flu shots are free and no one is turned away.
Mobile Units located at: MCU Park in Coney Island; in Gerritsen Beach at 43 Seba Avenue or on Staten Island at Midland Avenue and Olympia Blvd.
HHC is also providing flu vaccines at outpatient clinics in our 11 hospitals, six large health centers and child health clinics throughout the city.
LINK: HHC FLU INFORMATION
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
flu, flu vaccine, health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 21 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field 32 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos