7 Things to know: If you get the flu
NEW YORK (WABC) -- If you get sick with the flu, it's important to know what to do to get better and to keep others from getting sick.
Here are 7 things to know if you get the flu:
1. Avoid contact with other people except to get medical care
2. Contact your health care provider (doctor, physician's assistant, etc.).
3. CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other things you have to do and no one else can do for you.
4. You should stay home from work, school, travel, shopping, social events, and public gatherings.
5. Getting plenty of bed rest, drinking plenty of fluids, and proper nutrition can also help reduce the severity of your illness. Restrict your activity levels until the symptoms have disappeared.
6. Wash your hands often to keep from spreading flu to others.
7. You should not go to the emergency room if you are only mildly ill. If you have the emergency warning signs of flu sickness, you should go to the emergency room
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
flu, flu vaccine, health news
- Queens third grader fatally struck by truck 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Woman dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 38 min ago
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- India demands apology for diplomat arrest in Manhattan 33 min ago
- Baruch frat involved in hazing death gets lifetime ban 28 min ago
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300