Eat to lose journaling
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One week into the New Year and it's a good bet some of you are already struggling with your resolution to lose weight. One helpful way to jump start your diet routine is to keep a journal and write down everything you eat and drink.
When she was in her forties, Charmaine Jackson weighed 260 pounds. That's when she knew she had to put the brakes on her bad eating habits, so Jackson put her diet into words.
"I started the food journaling, and that's when the weight started to come off because I had already started exercising a little bit and then that sort of triggered the whole exercise, eating, trying to sleep more," she said.
It's been working. She's been keeping a daily food record for five years and is now 130 pounds lighter. Jackson is also still writing and doesn't plan to stop.
You don't have to keep a food log this long to make it effective, says registered dietitian Marisa Moore.
"For better or for worse, you write down everything that passes your lips," Moore said.
There is not just one way to keep a diet diary.
"You can get an application for your smart phone to track what you eat," Moore said.
She says the research supports the effectiveness of record-keeping.
"There's one study that showed that people who kept a food journal, they were able to lose about double the weight versus those who did not keep a food journal, but importantly they were able to keep the weight off," she said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
diet, dieting, health news, dr. sapna parikh
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday 8 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New York City issues snow alert 55 min ago
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday 29 min ago
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Christie appointee resigns amid probe 52 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- JFK customs seize cocaine in hair care products 38 min ago
- NY lawmakers to announce legislation preventing bridge tolls
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing 15 min ago
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
8 min ago