Tips to losing weight and keeping it off
NEW YORK (WABC) -- This is the time of year millions of Americans vow to lose weight, but for many, that's a pledge that's made year after year. So what can you do to make sure this year's diet is the last one?
It all looks so good, but you've just resolved to try and resist. To lose weight and keep it off, first you have to know yourself.
Registered dietician Lauren Antonucci calls it your "nutrition personality".
"It's really important to know, do I need a small treat every single day to look forward to? Or do I need to keep the cookies out of my house?" says Antonucci.
If you know you can just eat one, then you can have that small daily dessert.
"Other people need to say no way kitchen is closed I do not eat dessert after dinner except maybe on Friday or once a week," she adds.
And when it comes to snacks, ask yourself why you're snacking?
"Are you really hungry at 3 p.m. in the afternoon? Or are you eating because you're tired or you're bored or you're thirsty?" asks Antonucci.
Since last February, Lauren helped Cheryl Lassiter lose 25 pounds.
"I know I can't give up candy, I can't give up cookies, so I buy smaller packs snack," said Cheryl.
It's also important to know your challenges. And what temptations are most likely to sabotage your good intentions.
For Cheryl, it's dark chocolate that's hardest to resist.
"Instead of the large bar I'll buy the little nuggets of dark chocolate with almonds," she says.
And if it's out, she knows she'll want it, so she hides it.
"I have to take it out of sight out of mind if I see it I'm gonna eat it," she adds.
If you have a nutritionist you too can get one on one coaching and guidance- and believe it or not many insurance companies will in fact cover the cost- so it's definitely worth it to ask.
Please share your diet and fitness stories and photos with Eyewitness News on Twitter using the hashtag #HealthyYou.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, dr. sapna parikh
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 44 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife 54 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 46 min ago
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Granderson hits sac fly to lift Mets over Braves in 14 32 min ago
- Anna, Beltran key Yankees' 5-1, 12-inning win 23 min ago
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos