Dangers of mixing energy drinks and alcohol
NEW YORK (WABC) -- If you're planning to ring in the new year at a party you may want think twice about what you mix with your holiday cheer.
As the countdown begins, many of you will be having a toast to 2013.
But as you sip your holiday spirits, make sure to do it in moderation, and don't be tempted to mix your alcohol with energy drinks.
Along with getting a super-sized caffeine jolt, you may wind up drinking more than your limit.
"Caffeine definitely gives you- it's a stimulant, but it's also a depressant where you come down from that, so typically that causes someone to drink more of it. Just like coffee. Once you get that high, you get the low, you want it again. It's a very addictive effect," said Julia Zumano, a dietitian with Cleveland Clinic.
Since alcohol is a depressant and slows down heart rates, and caffeine is a stimulant, the combination can fuel the ability to drink more and longer , partiers are less likely to realize just how intoxicated they really are.
And a study out of Australia shows people who used energy drinks as a mixer are more likely to suffer heart palpitations have sleep difficulties, agitation, and tremors.
So if you do like mixed drinks stick with the old standbys like soda or seltzer.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
alcohol, health news, dr. jay adlersberg
- Bergen County officer hurt in Lodi crash 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 20 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 5 min ago
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn 22 min ago
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
20 min ago