Dangers of mixing energy drinks and alcohol
NEW YORK (WABC) -- If you're planning to ring in the new year at a party you may want think twice about what you mix with your holiday cheer.
As the countdown begins, many of you will be having a toast to 2013.
But as you sip your holiday spirits, make sure to do it in moderation, and don't be tempted to mix your alcohol with energy drinks.
Along with getting a super-sized caffeine jolt, you may wind up drinking more than your limit.
"Caffeine definitely gives you- it's a stimulant, but it's also a depressant where you come down from that, so typically that causes someone to drink more of it. Just like coffee. Once you get that high, you get the low, you want it again. It's a very addictive effect," said Julia Zumano, a dietitian with Cleveland Clinic.
Since alcohol is a depressant and slows down heart rates, and caffeine is a stimulant, the combination can fuel the ability to drink more and longer , partiers are less likely to realize just how intoxicated they really are.
And a study out of Australia shows people who used energy drinks as a mixer are more likely to suffer heart palpitations have sleep difficulties, agitation, and tremors.
So if you do like mixed drinks stick with the old standbys like soda or seltzer.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
alcohol, health news, dr. jay adlersberg
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 24 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Dead cats found in bags hanging from tree in Yonkers 37 min ago
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building 30 min ago
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos