Do women or men have a better chance of reaching 100?
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Women have a better chance of reaching the century mark than men.
According to Census data, fewer than 2 percent of Americans are 100 or older. Of that group, 80 percent are women.
Studies suggest that the disparity is because women handle age-related diseases better than men.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD commisioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later 14 min ago
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre 19 min ago
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest
- Freeze takes an icy grip on much of the nation
- Bob Dylan's Newport electric guitar for sale