Give the gift of becoming a bone marrow donor
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Earlier this week, Eyewitness News heard from our very own Robin Roberts, who is recovering from a bone marrow transplant. Throughout the journey, Robin has inspired so many people to become donors. This Thanksgiving, many bone marrow transplants are also giving others the gift of life.
The gift of life is so precious.
It doesn't get any clearer than when someone - whether it is family or a stranger becomes a bone marrow donor. On Good Morning America, Erika Turner, wife and mother of two, met her bone marrow donor, Yale University Graduate Christopher Magoon for the first time.
It is moments like that, as well as her own personal fight that have inspired Robin Roberts. She has shared her thoughts with her donor, sister Sally-Ann.
So many people have answered the call since Robin's announcement in June. Over 56,000 people have registered online with BeTheMatch.org to be potential donors, including students from her alma mater, Southeastern Louisiana University.
Siblings Will and Kate Boggan both received life-saving bone marrow transplants.
"It is a completely selfless act when you go out and donate bone marrow like that," said father Alex Boggan.
To find out how to register to become a bone marrow donor, CLICK HERE.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
- Cuomo to announce new deal between MTA and Transit Union 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 59 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay 11 min ago
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms 27 min ago
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms
27 min ago