Give the gift of becoming a bone marrow donor
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Earlier this week, Eyewitness News heard from our very own Robin Roberts, who is recovering from a bone marrow transplant. Throughout the journey, Robin has inspired so many people to become donors. This Thanksgiving, many bone marrow transplants are also giving others the gift of life.
The gift of life is so precious.
It doesn't get any clearer than when someone - whether it is family or a stranger becomes a bone marrow donor. On Good Morning America, Erika Turner, wife and mother of two, met her bone marrow donor, Yale University Graduate Christopher Magoon for the first time.
It is moments like that, as well as her own personal fight that have inspired Robin Roberts. She has shared her thoughts with her donor, sister Sally-Ann.
So many people have answered the call since Robin's announcement in June. Over 56,000 people have registered online with BeTheMatch.org to be potential donors, including students from her alma mater, Southeastern Louisiana University.
Siblings Will and Kate Boggan both received life-saving bone marrow transplants.
"It is a completely selfless act when you go out and donate bone marrow like that," said father Alex Boggan.
To find out how to register to become a bone marrow donor, CLICK HERE.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in...
22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
31 min ago