Miss America contestant to undergo surgery
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A beauty pageant contesant is going under the knife to save her life, she says.
After the Miss America pageant, Allyn Rose says she will undergo a voluntary, preventative double mastectomy.
This potentially lifesaving surgery is something Allyn Rose has thought about since she was just 16 and lost her mom to breast cancer. Her mom was only 51.
"My mom almost died at 27 and that is not a risk I am willing to take," Rose said.
Not only does Allyn have age 27 looming in her future, but she has tested positive for the gene mutation that gives cancer the green light.
She says her dad begged her mom to have this same preventive surgery, years ago.
Why now? Well, Allyn says after the Miss America pageant she'll be done with pageants and in the meantime this is important for people to talk about.
Her dad has been nudging her with tough love: she tweeted this note after appearing on GMA, "Wish my mom was here but I know she's watching over me."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, michelle charlesworth
- Car fire causing lane closures on the LIE 1 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Stormy day 16 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Operation Swill: cheap booze in premium liquor bottles
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- abcnews: Man Shot by FBI Was About to Sign Murder...
- OTRC: 'Man of Steel' trailer, with General Zod
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
16 min ago