Miss America contestant to undergo surgery
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A beauty pageant contesant is going under the knife to save her life, she says.
After the Miss America pageant, Allyn Rose says she will undergo a voluntary, preventative double mastectomy.
This potentially lifesaving surgery is something Allyn Rose has thought about since she was just 16 and lost her mom to breast cancer. Her mom was only 51.
"My mom almost died at 27 and that is not a risk I am willing to take," Rose said.
Not only does Allyn have age 27 looming in her future, but she has tested positive for the gene mutation that gives cancer the green light.
She says her dad begged her mom to have this same preventive surgery, years ago.
Why now? Well, Allyn says after the Miss America pageant she'll be done with pageants and in the meantime this is important for people to talk about.
Her dad has been nudging her with tough love: she tweeted this note after appearing on GMA, "Wish my mom was here but I know she's watching over me."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
health news, michelle charlesworth
- Residents warned to look out for black ice 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots! 27 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters 34 min ago
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city 36 min ago
- Fire inside the Marriott Marquis in Times Square
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
36 min ago
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
27 min ago
- Avonte's mother continues search with new...
34 min ago