Review: Jack The Giant Slayer
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The toughest reviews to write are for movies which are not great or inspired but merely okay and maybe good enough just to while away a few hours.
Facing "Jack the Giant Slayer" I thought of myself as a 10 year old boy and figured I might have enjoyed this spectacle, which amps up the old fairy tale about a boy who climbs a bean stalk.
In the Hollywood tradition of more being somehow better, the bean stalk is bigger and there's not just one giant, but many.
This lively group has been banished to the upper reaches of the stalk, but they're looking to get back down to earth and they see a chance to do that when an adventurous princess strays their way.
Jack is a simple farm boy who clearly believes in the truth of the old adage that actions speak louder than words when he joins a search party sent up the stalk to look for the princess. The two manage to escape with the giants in pursuit, setting up a climactic battle for the kingdom.
The final battle with a two headed giant is intense, but this movie's chief virtue is its ability to entertain older kids for a few hours.
"Jack the Giant Slayer" was supposed to be released last summer and at more than 200 million dollars it certainly has a blockbuster price. But the studio elected not to release it during Hollywood's busiest season, perhaps fearing it just wasn't good enough to compete with other films. Proceed accordingly.
movie, movie review, entertainment, sandy kenyon
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 20 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 10 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 51 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
39 min ago
WABC Entertainment Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos