Consumer Reports: Go anywhere action cameras
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Catching great action shots from your mountain bike or on the beach is a lot easier these days with cool new video cameras.
Consumer Reports looks at two popular ones that go where no video camera or cell phone has gone before.
Bradley Rothschild uses a GoPro camera to catch the action wherever he goes.
"I use it for mountain biking, I use it for jet-skiing, days on the lake with friends, it's a good time," he said.
Video cameras like the GoPro are growing in popularity as people want to capture action shots like skiing without risking expensive equipment.
Consumer Reports tested two top action camcorders, the GoPro Hero 3, which costs $400, and Sony's $270 Action Cam.
The cameras come with rugged, waterproof casings to protect them from the elements. And they're loaded with features.
"You can take standard-def or high-def video. You can also take still photos. And you can also, on both of them, take photos and stitch them together into a time lapse," said Terry Sullivan with Consumer Reports,
But how do they stand up to tough treatment? Consumer Reports tested by putting each one in a tumbler for 25 rotations to see if they could withstand hard knocks.
To see how waterproof the cameras are, they were, well, dunked in water. Both survived intact, with no damage at all.
"If you're looking to capture action shots in the great outdoors, either of these camcorders is a good choice. The GoPro has a little bit of an edge in the image quality, but either one will get the job done," adds Sullivan.
So the next time you hit the slopes for some skiing or head to the beach for some fun in the sun, one of these action cameras could be just the thing to capture memories that used to be a fleeting moment.
Consumer Reports says another nice thing about the GoPro Hero 3 and the Sony Action Cam is that they have built-in Wi-Fi. That makes it easy to share your videos on YouTube and Facebook.
consumer reports, consumer news
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 49 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 27 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus 37 min ago
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl 45 min ago
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn 38 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia 3 min ago
- Backpacks left at Boaston marathon finish...
52 min ago
- Community rallies around 13-year-old victim...
39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
27 min ago
- Party bus goes very awry on Long Island
38 min ago
On The Money Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos