Consumer Reports releases top car picks of 2013
NEW YORK (WABC) -- When it comes to testing cars, Consumer Reports goes the distance!
Its engineers clock hundreds of thousands of miles every year - subjecting cars to a battery of tests. Then, once a year, Consumer Reports names its Top Picks - the best of the best in 10 car categories.
Being named a Consumer Reports Top Pick vehicle doesn't come easy.
How well does a car handle an emergency situation?
Accelerating? And braking.
These are just some of the dozens of tests in which vehicles have to excel. But that's not all.
A car has to be reliable. Owners help here, telling Consumer Reports about their experiences with 1-point-2 million vehicles.
"The European vehicles traditionally don't have very good reliability, and that actually held them off the Top Pick list," said Jake Fisher.
But this year two make the list, including the Audi A6 as the Top Pick Luxury Car.
"It's a very comfortable car. It's got an amazing interior, nice ride, and agile handling," adds Fisher.
And the BMW 328i is the Top Pick Sports Sedan.
"It's always been a really sporty, fun-to-drive car. But now with a new two-liter, turbo-charged engine, it's actually very efficient, too," adds Fisher.
Honda makes a comeback as well. The newly redesigned Honda Accord is Top Pick Midsized Sedan.
The CR-V is tops in the Small SUV class.
And the Honda Odyssey has regained the Top Pick Minivan distinction.
But if sports cars are more your speed, the Subaru BRZ and the Scion FR-S lead the pack. These nearly identical vehicles, co-developed by Toyota and Subaru, are exhilarating to drive, with sticker prices that are tough to beat.
Looking for a car for under $20,000? The Hyundai Elantra is Consumer Reports' Top Pick Budget Car.
The all-wheel-drive Subaru Impreza earned Top Pick for compacts.
The Toyota Highlander stayed on top in midsized SUVs.
And despite growing competition, the Toyota Prius remains the Top Pick Green Car - a distinction it's held for ten years running.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
consumer reports, consumer news
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 34 min ago
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
34 min ago
On The Money Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos