Making moonshine in Brooklyn
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- BROOKLYN Moonshine, an old-fashioned alcoholic drink, is back in demand.
Colin Spoelman started Kings County Distillery 3 years ago out of his apartment. A year ago he moved to the Brooklyn Navy Yards. More space, but he needed a boost to further grow the business.
Maria Gotsch is president of the Partnership for New York City Fund.
The fund's mission is to create jobs in New York City. It isn't profit driven. Instead any money made is reinvested into other companies. Kings Country Distillery in its new navy yard space was a good fit.
"We think anything that adds to that fact, that there's interesting products to add to that mix," Gotsch said.
The fund's 400-thousand dollar investment into this spirits business resulted in brand new stills made of copper and made in Scotland.
"They do exactly what our smaller stills do on a bigger scale," Colin Spoelman said.
So instead of making 10 gallons a day, they'll make more than 30. Moonshine, bourbon, even one that's chocolate flavored.
That means they'll be going through way more corn grown in New York. And they'll be able to employ more people here in Brooklyn. It's a modern, synergistic approach to making moonshine.
"So that's the very cool part. To be a part of that and have a business that's participating in this broader community," Spoelman said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
brooklyn, moonshine, business, lauren glassberg
- Fire tears through Carlstadt post office
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Harlem robber caught on camera using ATM
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan hospital attack
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Photos: On World's Fair's 50th a new national...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos