7 On Your Side
Avon Pavilion back open for business
AVON-BY-THE-SEA, N.J. (WABC) -- An iconic fixture of the Jersey Shore that got washed away by Superstorm Sandy is now making a big comeback, thanks in no small part to 7 On Your Side.
Not only is the Avon Pavilion better than before, it is rebuilding in a remarkable way.
The fact that pancakes are even flipping at the Avon Pavilion is a feat in itself.
The restaurant is open for business nearly eight months to the day after Superstorm Sandy wiped out the iconic 100-year-old establishment.
It's back! It's not rebuilt, but rather reimagined by owner Rob Fishman.
The idea came driving up to Newark Airport, I saw the container terminals," Fishman said.
Since the town couldn't rebuild in time for this summer season, Fishman started building on his own.
"Installed electricity, installed plumbing," Fishman said.
The concept recycled those metal shipping rectangles, turning containers into a kitchen, and cutting out holes for windows and doorways.
Voila! You've got your walkup service windows, a dishwashing area, and a grill.
Back in February, the Pavilion looked kaput. A graveyard of pilings was all that was left.
Then, the borough's town council tried to kick the owner out, voiding his 25-year lease midstream, saying its length made it illegal.
"Aren't you kicking him while he's down?" 7 On Your Side's Nina Pineda said.
But after thousands of signatures on a petition and a spotlight from 7 On Your Side, the mayor changed his mind.
Now, Avon's rebounding, the borough's rebuilt more than 80 percent of its boardwalk, the surf's up, and the stores are open.
"people from North Jersey and New York need to know we are open, the bathrooms are open, the boardwalks open, our entertainments going to start, Avon-by-the-Sea is back!" said Tim Gallagher, Avon-by-the-Sea borough Clerk.
Beachgoers love that the traditional Jersey Shore places, like the Avon Pavilion, are coming back.
"Some of it is temporary, but they're back in business, they signed a 10 year lease, he'll be here for a while!" a customer said.
"I was very relieved. I followed on Facebook, very exciting passing on the tradition to my kids, I lifeguarded here and ate here all the time, happy to be back again," another customer said.
For more information please visit: http://www.avonpavilion.com/
superstorm sandy, 7 on your side, nina pineda
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way 58 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow alert issued for New York City 32 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- Firefighters battle Washington Heights building fire 6 min ago
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Staten Island buyback collects nearly 100 guns
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness'
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
58 min ago