7 On Your Side
The runaway repairman
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Al Lakas is an air conditioner contractor who, when confronted by our camera, just can't stand the heat.
"I'm taking care of it. I'm paying it off," he said.
"He just tells you lies after lies," home owner Fritz Moise said.
Last year Fritz Moise was left sweltering, after giving 3-thousand dollars cash to Al for a remote control A/C system. Fritz says Lakas took his money and ran.
"He was a scam. He knew what he was going to do," Moise said.
He took Al to court and won a judgment when the contractor did not show.
"It's not about the money he took. It's the principle. This guy's a liar," Moise said.
7 On Your Side first went looking for Al 6 years ago when he left another homeowner with no heat until we got involved.
Last year Al's Heating was in hot water again. Lakas was arrested, charged with stealing and ordered to pay $9,000 in restitution to 5 Queens homeowners the District Attorney said he bilked. He did.
But just this week, Al was staring down a Nassau County judge accused of ripping off 3 more customers.
"He owes $13,250 in fines and he would have to pay all of that and take care of his customers before we release his vehicle," Nassau County Commission of Consumer Affairs Madalyn Farley said.
Caught working with no license to boot , Commissioner Farley took his truck and tools. It sits in the impound lot, right next to another stocked company van seized two years ago for the same violations.
As for Fritz's refund?
"I'm paying everybody off. I'm dealing with him first," Al said.
Mark that as another promise broken. Al told us he was waiting for funds to clear to cut Fritz a check, but so far nothing. One big takeaway - before handing over your hard earned cash to a contractor, check him out to see if he's licensed. Al isn't.
7 on your side, nina pineda
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 34 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
34 min ago
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos