7 On Your Side
Tips to prevent child drownings
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An important warning for parents this time of year as drowning poses one of the biggest dangers for kids.
Every summer children die in backyard pools.
There are important safeguards for every parent and pool owner so backyard fun doesn't turn into a tragedy.
It's a poolside tragedy waiting to happen when young children see a toy left in the pool.
They'll do whatever it takes to get the toy, even drown.
After her first grandchild Dexter was born, Ann Kahn invested in what she calls added peace of mind.
She had a removable mesh fence put in.
Steve Berger's company Life Saver Pool Fence installed it for $2,700.
The gate locks with a magnetic latch and key.
And tension latches ensure the door always shuts.
"Just like you wouldn't let your kid play in traffic or leave a loaded gun on the table if you have a pool you need to have layers of protection," said Berger.
Other ways to prevent accidents are to outfit your pool with a safety alarm.
You can also outfit your kid with a water activated alarm, placed on the wrist or ankle, it activates when wet.
Both devices start at around 120 bucks.
But the best safety measures prevent accidents before they happen.
Like is teaching your child how to swim.
Marina Montes started UR swim on Long Osland to help prevent the many drowning in home pools every summer.
"One of the first things we teach them is how to submerge and roll on their backs we want them to get their faces out of the water so an adult can see them and they can cry for help," she said.
The certified lifeguard reminds the number one measure to prevent drowning. Constant supervision by an adult who can swim, that way everyone can have a fun safe summer in the water.
7 on your side, nina pineda
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- AccuWeather Forecast: More Snow On The Way 8 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 14 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 11 min ago
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness' 38 min ago
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area 51 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
14 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More Snow On The Way
8 min ago
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos