7 On Your Side
7 On Your Side helps Camp Life Kingdom workers get paid
QUEENS (WABC) -- When youth counselors and teachers at a summer camp in Queens were stiffed on their paychecks, they called 7 On Your Side for help. But, a year later, they were still waiting for their money.
So, we tracked down Camp Life Kingdom's director, Curtis and Kathleen Turner, again.
Eyewitness News discovered that the summer camps were advertising new locations in the Bronx and Queens this year.
Teyanna Mealing was a camp youth counselor at Camp Life Kingdom and hasn't received a paycheck for $450.
With two younger siblings and a single mom who drives a city bus full-time, Teyanna was counting on her paycheck for back to school supplies. But, last October when 7 On Your Side asked the camp director to pay up, there was no answer.
Joliette Charlot, another one of Turner's teachers was stiffed too. Charlot was owed more than a thousand dollars.
"I was upset, I was very upset because I was supposed to get paid," Charlot said.
Charlot was shocked to see the Turners are back in business, selling new summer camps online in the Bronx and Queens.
"I even explained to him I really need my pay check because I have rent to pay bills and I'm also a single parent," Charlot said.
So, Eyewitness News went back to the Turner's home and Curtis ducked inside while his wife sped away.
I called Curtis Turner inside his home.
"These kids worked for you all summer long and didn't get paid. They need the money," I explained.
Finally, he came out of his house and apologized.
"Everybody will be taken care of," Curtis Turner said.
And true to his word, both of the teachers and teenager got paid in full!
7 on your side, nina pineda
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack 7 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 16 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- UPS facility fire damages packages on Long Island
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- USA to open against Ghana in '14 World Cup 32 min ago
- Bob Dylan's Newport electric guitar for sale
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
16 min ago