7 On Your Side
Gemprint to safeguard your diamonds
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There are lots of complaints about stolen jewelry to 7 On Your Side, but the problem is proving it.
Police will tell you it's hard to show without a shadow of a doubt the items recovered are the same ones stolen.
That doubt may be a thing of the past.
The armed robbers who pulled off a brazen $50 million diamond heist at the Belgian airport will have trouble fencing the gems if any show up in an international database.
"Gemprint plays a major role in the recovery of lost and stolen diamonds," said Angelo Palmieri, of Gemprint.
Angelo Palmieri is hoping some of the stones stolen two months ago are registered with his New York diamond district based company.
Every gem, from an 11 carat near flawless diamond-worth a million dollars, to the popular quarter carat engagement ring, has its own unique fingerprint.
Just like a human fingerprint a Gemprint can be matched and traced to its original owner, but only if it was registered as explained in a recent "Law and Order" episode.
"It answers the age old question of, 'How do I know this is my diamond?' You can always identify your stone no matter whether you have it prepared, you get it cleaned, you reset it, you can always identify your stone very easily," Palmieri said.
Gemologists grade and certify a diamonds color, clarity, cut and carat weight, but Angelo brought that technology out of the lab to the retail level.
So jewelers like Marc Solomon in Plainview can use Gemprint to safeguard their customers' stones.
"There's not anything like it in the trade, it's amazing," Solomon said.
You get a copy, an inner picture of your stone, no two are alike, and that reassurance is a girl's best friend.
Think about it. If you got your ring stolen and then maybe you got it back, you'd want to be sure that you got the same stone back!
"I know it's safe, it's there forever and all these insurance companies are there for you," a diamond wearer said.
Insurance companies offer big discounts if you Gemprint your gem, so not only do you save money, its great peace of mind which is priceless!
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
theft, 7 on your side, nina pineda
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 17 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 5 min ago
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
24 min ago