7 On Your Side
Gemprint to safeguard your diamonds
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There are lots of complaints about stolen jewelry to 7 On Your Side, but the problem is proving it.
Police will tell you it's hard to show without a shadow of a doubt the items recovered are the same ones stolen.
That doubt may be a thing of the past.
The armed robbers who pulled off a brazen $50 million diamond heist at the Belgian airport will have trouble fencing the gems if any show up in an international database.
"Gemprint plays a major role in the recovery of lost and stolen diamonds," said Angelo Palmieri, of Gemprint.
Angelo Palmieri is hoping some of the stones stolen two months ago are registered with his New York diamond district based company.
Every gem, from an 11 carat near flawless diamond-worth a million dollars, to the popular quarter carat engagement ring, has its own unique fingerprint.
Just like a human fingerprint a Gemprint can be matched and traced to its original owner, but only if it was registered as explained in a recent "Law and Order" episode.
"It answers the age old question of, 'How do I know this is my diamond?' You can always identify your stone no matter whether you have it prepared, you get it cleaned, you reset it, you can always identify your stone very easily," Palmieri said.
Gemologists grade and certify a diamonds color, clarity, cut and carat weight, but Angelo brought that technology out of the lab to the retail level.
So jewelers like Marc Solomon in Plainview can use Gemprint to safeguard their customers' stones.
"There's not anything like it in the trade, it's amazing," Solomon said.
You get a copy, an inner picture of your stone, no two are alike, and that reassurance is a girl's best friend.
Think about it. If you got your ring stolen and then maybe you got it back, you'd want to be sure that you got the same stone back!
"I know it's safe, it's there forever and all these insurance companies are there for you," a diamond wearer said.
Insurance companies offer big discounts if you Gemprint your gem, so not only do you save money, its great peace of mind which is priceless!
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
theft, 7 on your side, nina pineda
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos