7 On Your Side
Peacock rescued from Long Island, moved to petting zoo
BAYSHORE (WABC) -- When we first told you the story about a lost long island peacock searching for a home, two zoos, including the Bronx zoo, said no to our requests.
But we had an overwhelming response once we promoted this peacock predicament. The story about his need for a safe home was posted and shared so many times from our Facebook page that we received offers from experts and sanctuaries all over the country. We are happy to report the peacock is staying local.
The peacock is bound for the Garden State from Bayshore, where the majestic peacock had been preening in the Nicolosi's back yard since September.
The bird showed up as a baby and survived the snowy Suffolk winter, but the family was afraid for his safety and couldn't find anyone to take in the bird.
Our story generated many wonderful suggestions, and led us to the Massapequa non-profit, "Wildlife in need of Rescue and Rehabilitation."
Licensed professional Cathy Horvath safely picked up the peacock, checked his health, groomed and housed him until his Manhattan transfer to a permanent home.
Two weeks after leaving Long Island, his adopted family was down on the farm to see how their feathered friend was faring.
The peacock will eventually roam free on the Kafka's Friendly Farm and Petting Zoo.
Kistine Nicolosi's only reservation was the lack of a mate on the farm for the social bird.
"That night he called me back and said I got you a peahen. I bought one," she said.
"Hopefully, she'll lay eggs in the fall and raise a couple babies from them," Harold Kafka said.
Perhaps some peachicks soon! We also have names from the girls on the Farm: Hera for her, the Queen of the Gods. For Him, Zeus, who turned into a bird to convince Hera his to marry him.
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
7 on your side, nina pineda
- Firefighters struggle to contain NJ forest fires
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green