7 On Your Side
Funeral home insurance mess
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The family lost their beloved dad, and then lost thousands in a life insurance scheme to a funeral director who they say lied to them.
The family said they learned a hard lesson in trust, and then called us for help.
He died right before Christmas and ever since the Gruna family turned their front window into a shrine to their own sailor, Andrew Gruna. He was a former World War II Navy gunner and Fairview firefighter.
"He had a heart of gold. He was the best man that ever walked this earth," his widow, Irene Gruna, said.
Last December they paid Community Funeral Home in full nearly 5-thousand dollars for cremation. Then came an odd, but not unheard of, offer from the funeral director to sign over Andrew Gruna's life insurance to him.
"He would go to the insurance company because it would be faster for him to get her the money," Cindy Sprusansky, his daughter, said.
They say they were told it was a courtesy and assured as soon as he got the insurance money that he'd forward it. Sprusansky says he cashed the check on January 11, but a month later they still did not have their money.
So Cindy called the funeral home, and she says she was told three times that he sent the check.
So we called the funeral director, who once again insisted the check was 'in the mail," but just hours after our call?
Cindy and her mom got their payment in full.
About a week after we left a second check arrived. The funeral director claimed it proved he had sent out the check before we called. But the postmark told a different story - the date was nearly a week "after" we first called the funeral home.
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
7 on your side, nina pineda
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms 20 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Arrest in deadly stabbing of livery cab driver 31 min ago
- Stabbing reported near Times Square 2 min ago
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street foiled 56 min ago
- FBI releases new footage in Times Square bomb
- LIRR cancels 21 trains for evening rush
- 2 dead in double shootingi in NJ doctor's office
- Chrysler agrees to recall Jeeps at risk of fire
- Leonia firehouse shut in wake of sex assault
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA
- Stabbing reported near Times Square
2 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms
20 min ago
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street...
56 min ago