7 On Your Side
7 On Your Side: Not dead yet
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The widower's still shaken, ever since his wife passed away last summer. But he was in for a 2nd shock. On the same day his wife died, the government declared him dead.
It's been more than 5 months since Arnold Ross' wife Flo passed away.
The senior's pain is still so raw that he can't bear to look at old snapshots of the two of them.
"You know I have a hard time looking at the pictures," Ross said.
But after burying his wife of 27 years - the grieving senior was hit with a second unexpected body blow.
"They said I'm deceased. I was dead in their computers," he said.
He's talking about Medicare - his healthcare provider. Ever since his wife died in July, Medicare has declared Arnold dead.
Weeks after his wife's death, Medicare sent Arnold a condolence letter for his own death.
"Look at me, do I look dead?" he said.
On paper, Arnold's been dead since end of July. That's also when Medicare stopped paying his doctor bills. So every time he goes to the mailbox, he's afraid he'll get another doctor bill.
That's a problem for a guy on six daily medications and who regularly sees 5 different doctors for different health problems. Arnold says he's made many calls to Medicare.
"This is going on since August, October, November, now we're into December and nothings been done," he said.
So we made a couple calls to Medicare and in just hours resurrected Mr. Ross and resuscitated his account.
Medicare finally got the problem resolved and started paying all his doctor bills.
Medicare said the initial confusion happened because Arnold and Flo's Medicare numbers were very similar. They apologized for the problem, but couldn't explain why it took so long to get it straightened out.
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
7 on your side, nina pineda
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Bill would require equal access to tenant amenities
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate 41 min ago
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Stage collapses at California high school; dozens hurt
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win 46 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014