7 On Your Side
7 Tips for Returns
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's inevitable, this holiday you'll get a gift that you'll need to return. But sometimes returning the item takes on a life of its own.
A fussy family is why Karen Levy gets ready for a season of returns.
"I give them something and they never wear it," Levy said.
If you don't want to spend a fortune sending gifts back, here are 7 tips for returns!
#1: Free return shipping sites
The first tip to happy returns is shopping on sites that offer free return shipping.
Tod Marks of Consumer Reports Magazine, says it is this season's trend in cyber-shopping. More online stores than ever are offering free shipping.
"It takes the muss and the fuss and the worry out returning and having that fee come out of your pocket," Marks said.
#2: Get a paper receipt and a digital receipt
Always get a paper receipt and get a digital receipt sent to your smart phone or email.
Only downside to a digital receipt is it may make you a target for marketers but it does gives you an added protection on returns.
#3: Don't open package or remove tags
If you're sure you don't like a gift, don't rip open that package or clip off the tags until your absolutely sure you're keeping it.
"You may be subject to a couple of things. They may not let you take the item back period or you may be subject to a restocking fee," Marks said.
#4: Know your return timeframe
Make sure you know your return time frame window because it may be a lot shorter than you think.
Certain products have a shorter shelf life than others. Some have as little as 7-14 days.
#5: Bring your ID
If you're rushing for returns, don't leave without your ID. 4 billion in return fraud means stores will be looking at you with a magnifying glass.
What most retailers do have is a separate area for returns.
#6: Know where to return
Before wasting time in the checkout line, ask exactly where in the store to take your specific item or better yet, start giving more gift card like Grandma Karen Levy.
# 7: Credit card protection
Check your credit card protection because some cards like American Express will refund your product if the store doesn't take it back.
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
holiday shopping, holliday gifts, 7 on your side, nina pineda
- Young child fatally shot outside Jersey City home 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: More Humid 22 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Metro North train collision to affect service all week 35 min ago
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello as probe continues
- Person of interest ID'd in deadly Queens bus shooting
- Rally planned after West Village hate crime murder
- 1 dead, 1 rescued when car ends up in Huntington Harbor
- Winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Florida city anxious to learn Powerball jackpot winner
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- Metro North train collision to affect...
35 min ago
- AccuWeather: More Humid
22 min ago
- Young child fatally shot outside Jersey...
23 min ago