7 On Your Side
7 tips for finding the perfect tree
NEW YORK (WABC) -- We are weeks away from the holidays and in the days ahead the chore becomes finding the perfect tree. Do you get a spruce or a fir? Tall or short?
Before bundling it up and bringing it home, know just how much tree your ceiling height can handle.
Measure first and select a tree 1 foot below ceiling height.
"A lot of people buy a tree that doesn't fit in there apt or house. 6 to 7 foot are the most popular size 8 the average ceiling height," Stew Leonard Jr. said.
"Stew" knows a thing or "two" about trees, his family of stores will sell 50-thousand firs and Fraziers every season.
The Douglas Fir's soft branches and needles are good for families with small children, Balsam's have a pretty blue tint and Christmas-y smell, but will lose needles faster than the most popular trees now. The sturdy Frasier or Noble FIR great for heavy ornaments, but a little more expensive.
One thing Stew encourages customers to do is give a potential pick, the fresh test.
"Just grab a branch and be pretty brutal, and pull and look at how many needles. If you have a lot of needles walk away," Stew said.
Trim at least 6 inches of branches for a clean trunk to fit easily into the stand and have the trimmer cut 1 inch off the bottom
Trees drink plenty, so give them a gallon of water a day and place your tree away from hot air vents and direct sunlight.
"If the sun is beating on it all day, that's okay. Just give it plenty of water," Stew said.
Lastly, avoid the last minute run back to the store for lights. Estimate you will need at least 100 bulbs per foot of tree, and more if you like it even brighter.
"There's a lot of led light s now that a very energy efficient and save you money on your electric bill," he said.
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
christmas, holiday season, 7 on your side, nina pineda
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park