7 On Your Side
Ways to avoid counterfeit products
Americans love deals on designer items. And scammers know it.
Clothing, shoes and handbags are among the most popular items for counterfeiters, so do some homework before you buy.
"Before you go ahead and jump on that deal, check out a merchant, especially one you're unfamiliar with ahead of time. Go online, put the merchants name in a search engine, and the words 'rip-off' and "complaint" and see what other people that have dealt with them are saying," Mandy Walker, Consumer Reports, said.
Look for security features like a seal or a sticker a real manufacturer will add that's hard to reproduce.
Some major labels will offer advice on avoiding counterfeits on their company websites. Beware of low prices simply too good to be true. And use a credit card for purchases, which can offer greater protection than a debit card in the event or fraud. If you do get duped, don't try to resell the merchandise.
"Even if you tell somebody, this isn't a real 'whatever' handbag but it's still a great bag, you're still liable and you could really get in trouble, you could really get prosecuted. So don't resell it," Walker said.
Demand your money back regardless of the return policy. And loop in your local or state consumer protection agency.
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
7 on your side, nina pineda
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London 24 min ago
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile
- Kickoff to a Long Island Summer today!
22 min ago