7 On Your Side
Ways to avoid counterfeit products
Americans love deals on designer items. And scammers know it.
Clothing, shoes and handbags are among the most popular items for counterfeiters, so do some homework before you buy.
"Before you go ahead and jump on that deal, check out a merchant, especially one you're unfamiliar with ahead of time. Go online, put the merchants name in a search engine, and the words 'rip-off' and "complaint" and see what other people that have dealt with them are saying," Mandy Walker, Consumer Reports, said.
Look for security features like a seal or a sticker a real manufacturer will add that's hard to reproduce.
Some major labels will offer advice on avoiding counterfeits on their company websites. Beware of low prices simply too good to be true. And use a credit card for purchases, which can offer greater protection than a debit card in the event or fraud. If you do get duped, don't try to resell the merchandise.
"Even if you tell somebody, this isn't a real 'whatever' handbag but it's still a great bag, you're still liable and you could really get in trouble, you could really get prosecuted. So don't resell it," Walker said.
Demand your money back regardless of the return policy. And loop in your local or state consumer protection agency.
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
7 on your side, nina pineda
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 34 min ago
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 50 min ago
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Princeton to begin meningitis B vaccinations Monday
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday 48 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos