7 On Your Side
Ways to avoid counterfeit products
Americans love deals on designer items. And scammers know it.
Clothing, shoes and handbags are among the most popular items for counterfeiters, so do some homework before you buy.
"Before you go ahead and jump on that deal, check out a merchant, especially one you're unfamiliar with ahead of time. Go online, put the merchants name in a search engine, and the words 'rip-off' and "complaint" and see what other people that have dealt with them are saying," Mandy Walker, Consumer Reports, said.
Look for security features like a seal or a sticker a real manufacturer will add that's hard to reproduce.
Some major labels will offer advice on avoiding counterfeits on their company websites. Beware of low prices simply too good to be true. And use a credit card for purchases, which can offer greater protection than a debit card in the event or fraud. If you do get duped, don't try to resell the merchandise.
"Even if you tell somebody, this isn't a real 'whatever' handbag but it's still a great bag, you're still liable and you could really get in trouble, you could really get prosecuted. So don't resell it," Walker said.
Demand your money back regardless of the return policy. And loop in your local or state consumer protection agency.
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
7 on your side, nina pineda
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 46 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 51 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens 48 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect 20 min ago
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack 12 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 7 min ago
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
46 min ago
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos