7 On Your Side
Options for destroying hard drives, other equipment
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There are prongs made of gold in a circuit board, power supplies the size of car batteries and a hard drive worth plenty to someone who knows just how to get to the information that many may think they have erased. A pile of what looks like useless old hardware can hide valuable information.
Seeing those secrets is easy for an expert; they can get their hands on anyone's hard drive.
If someone's hard drive doesn't look like ground up bits of reusable metal, then it is gold mine for thieves.
Melanie Haga's company, "Back Thru the Future," secures and destroys those electronic records before recycling.
The acid-laden battery in a backup power supply can be as big as one in a car. Too often, these end up in a garbage can and eventually, in a landfill. Old video monitors are just as harmful.
Best Buy also offers free recycling no matter where it's bought. Cameras, GPS units and old mobile phones can be traded in for new technology and may have value.
However, the best value is to comprehend that even a CD can be turned into reusable plastic. Recycling one hard drive saves enough energy to light a 100-watt bulb for 134 hours, or run a television for 102 hours.
What many thought was trash, could create the next new technology.
CONNECT WITH NINA PINEDA AND 7 ON YOUR SIDE
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
computer, 7 on your side, nina pineda
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train 23 min ago
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents 43 min ago
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines