Another politician facing charges
May 6, 2013 (WABC) -- I'm trying hard to remain upbeat about some human's nature, but the dirty politicans on the public payroll who embezzle or take bribes can make it hard to be a cockeyed optimist.
Another bust today, another scandal, and it's once again rocking the world of New York politics. This time it's a state senator accused of stealing $440,000 from escrow funds from foreclosure cases that he was court-appointed to oversee.
This follows the corruption and bribery busts involving folks who wanted to--allegedlyillegally maneuver the system and get on the ballot in the race for New York Mayor.
But what price is all this extracting from public confidence? By ripping up people and funds, are they also crushing the public trust? And why is Albany such a snake pit of corruption? Wasn't our Governor supposed to make this a priority, and crackdown? Is the notion of a part-time legislature helping to build a system of corruption? What if we had full-time legislators, paid full time, and not allowed to take outside funds? Wouldn't that take the attraction out of becoming corrupt, at least for most of them? I'm just sayin'.
Tonight at 11, our Jeff Pegues takes a closer look at the real costs of corruption in politics, and the culture of deceit that must be disinfected.
Of course, it's not just New York politicians who are sometimes corrupt. Consider the jaw-dropping story out of Virginia this weekend, of an Air Force officer who's in charge of sexual assault prevention, busted and charged with sexual battery of a women in Arlington. Charming.
And speaking of jerks, the FBI sent a scary notice out about what to look out for tomorrow: beware of terrorist cyber attacks tomorrow. Our eyes are open!
Meanwhile, our Nina Pineda takes a closer look at what happens when sensitive information on your smart phone gets lost, or stolen, or ruined. She has a few key moves that could go a long way to keeping your data safe.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ