Is it news?
April 30, 2013 (WABC) -- What a fascinating discussion in the past 24 hours about Jason Collins, the veteran NBA center who became the first active pro athlete in a major sport to come out as gay.
So many peeps posted on my Facebook page something to the effect that they don't know him, don't care about him or who he sleeps with, and don't know why this is a story.
Others get the news angle right away. People who do groundbreaking things tend to garner headlines. Would that it be that these announcements aren't a big deal; someday, hopefully, they won't be news.
But they are now. Collins' coming out has also become a social media trend. His Twitter account had fewer than 2,000 followers before the announcement. I checked a few minutes ago, and he's now at nearly 92,000 followers. That's viral.
So kudos to Collins. Couldn't have been easy keeping a secret for all these years.
Rob Powers will have any new reaction, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, we take a closer look at the surveillance video of that violent robbery in Brooklyn on Monday that left a grocery store manager wounded as he tried to protect a cashier who was getting robbed. Who is the robber? Cops now looking for him.
And some good news about home prices - which had their biggest year-to-year boost in nearly 7 years. Prices in all 20 cities in the index saw an increase for the second straight month. That has happened in 8 years. Is this real or just a temporary bubble?
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast (who didn't have a smile on their face today, right?). I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11, right after Diane Sawyer's exclusive interview with Amanda Knox, at 10.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 28 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 1 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 3 min ago
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 25 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 4 min ago
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 28 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
28 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos