Out of time and out of the closet
April 29, 2013 (WABC) -- So one pro athlete is kicked out, another comes out. The truth is - who's really surprised by either? And should we be?
I'll say no. We shouldn't be surprised. And for all the right reasons.
First, it made no sense from the beginning why the Jets hired quarterback Tim Tebow. His religious bent notwithstanding - and for some it's a plus, for others it's a deal breaker - his numbers and rating as a QB were never that good. His hiring messed with the head of the Jets existing first string quarterback, Mark Sanchez, and did not engender anything much of a team-building spirit from other Jets players. Now he's gone. No shocker. Tebow to the east if you must.
While Tebow got kicked out, another pro player is coming out. Jason Collins is 34, which means he's lived a closeted life for far too many years. It might seem like no big deal, living here in the tri-state, where it makes less of a difference what your sexual orientation is, but it's a big deal in many places in this country. Collins is the first athlete active in a major pro sport to come out as gay. And that makes it a big deal.
We'll have reaction tonight at 11. And here's a thought - won't it be a better day when this kind of story isn't a story? I'm just sayin'.
Also at 11, what were you doing 6 months ago tonight? Hard to forget that night, when Superstorm Sandy laid waste to so much of the Tri-State, wiping out homes and lives, shorelines and power. So many people are still without, so many others will never have their lives back to any semblance of normal, no many lessons we seem not to have learned. Tonight we return to reunite with some of the people we met the night of the storm and in the days that followed.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner 9 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train derailment
- Fast food workers strike to demand higher wages
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner 1 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds