Dzhokhar Tsarnaev charged
April 22, 2013 (WABC) -- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev could face the death penalty, according to the federal charges filed today, under seal, in the Boston Marathon Bombing case. No shocker, of course, that they included a weapons of mass destruction charge against the 19-year-old Russian immigrant.
And for those who are trying to pronounce this guy's name, we are saying "joe-karr czar-nyev." How did this young man - whom friends describe as a promising wrestler and extremely friendly pre-med college student - become an accused terrorist? His older brother clearly had some kind of strong influence on him, if the early reporting and profiling is accurate. But at 19, he certainly is capable of having a mind of his own, and so as we learn more about him and his family, it's fair and appropriate to ask the question that is most perplexing about Tsarnaev and his now-dead brother: How did they make the turn to violent fundamentalist Islamists?
We're following all the developments, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, Christine Quinn wants to replace Michael Bloomberg as Mayor of New York. Now, she's trying to follow in his footsteps when it comes to cracking down on smoking in the City. Quinn is now proposing a law to outlaw selling tobacco to anyone under the age of 21. Smoking under Bloomberg's decade-long crackdown has dropped by about a third. But smoking among teenagers has stayed flat since 2008, so Speaker Quinn now wants to extend the minimum age to buy tobacco to 21. Nowhere in the country is the age older than 19.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos