Boston Marathon bombing investigation
April 18, 2013 (WABC) -- Has the FBI pinpointed who they think bombed the Boston Marathon? There are indications tonight that they have. No surprise that the abundance of surveillance cameras has yielded a treasure trove of investigative leads. But now that we're three full days past the bombings, finding those people becomes problematic.
Unless, of course, the bombers are as smart as Paul Kevin Curtis, the 45-year-old from Tupelo, Mississippi now charged with sending letters laced with Ricin to Pres. Obama, U.S. Senator Roger Wicker, and a Mississippi judge. He allegedly wrote letters expressing his grievances and signing them with his initials. Didn't take Columbo to figure out who sent the letters. It's a deadly affair, sending poisoned letters. But there is a humorous twist to the story: Mr. Curtis was one of those Elvis personators. And Sen. Wicker once hired him as "Elvis" for a party. Oh wouldn't that be a picture now?
And in a nation that's weary from explosions, another blast in Texas, where they're still cleaning up and counting the dead and injured. A fertilizer plant 20 miles north of Waco. No indication that this is anything other than an industrial accident, but with the 20th anniversary tomorrow of the FBI siege on the right-wing religious cult that killed 74 men, women and children, folks are understandably a bit jumpy.
We'll have the latest on all these scary, sad and heartbreaking stories, tonight at 11.
And we'll have reaction to the Senate's defeat of the President's gun control legislation. Much criticism that, with 90% of Americans favoring more background checks and with the majority of Senators voting for the bill, the system seems a tad dysfunctional. Or as the brilliant comedic writer Andy Borowitz headlined his blog today: "Courageous Senators Stand Up To American People." He's just sayin'.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Liz Cho (in for Sade Baderinwa) and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation