Dropped and derailed
March 19, 2013 (WABC) -- So I'm trying to wrap my head around the proposed assault weapons ban, which today was dropped from the Senate's gun control legislation package.
Oh yeah it generated a lot of hoopla after the Newtown gun massacre in December. The truth always was that assault weapons account for so very little violence compared to the out-of-control handgun situation. But the issue that someone needs more than 7 or 10 bullets without having to reload seems to most people to be excessive, and so it got a lot of publicity.
The backlash also got publicity. More than the push to ban the so-called assault weapons. So much publicity that there was a huge spike in gun sales - all kinds. And that's what's left after the Senate Dems counted the votes and tallied only about 40 for the ban; that's why they dropped it. So now they have gun legislation that calls for better background checks and blah blah blah blah, but no assault weapons ban, and a ton more firearms out there than there were before.
We'll have reaction and the latest, tonight at 11.
Also at 11, the nation's biggest commuter railroad in trouble again tonight, as the Long Island Railroad acknowledged that repairs to a track damaged yesterday by a train that derailed (it wasn't a passenger train) will take until at least Friday to fix.
Charming, again. We're on the story and what it means for your morning commute.
We'll also have the latest on a deadly wave of bombings in Baghdad, ostensibly to mark the 10th anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq. And late this afternoon came word that the Statue of Liberty, closed to the public after Superstorm Sandy in October, will reopen to the public by July 4.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's frozen AccuWeather forecast (spring starts 8 hours after our 11 p.m. newscast, but it will feel as if it's 8 weeks away), and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 25 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field 36 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos