Pope no more
February 28, 2013 (WABC) -- Pope Benedict? Nope, no one here by that name. The first Pope to use social media, now suddenly has his name removed from Twitter. That's what happens when you resign.
Tonight at 11, we'll have the tick-tock of the Pope's departure today, and his retirement, in seclusion, where he'll be known as Emeritus Pope. The Catholic Church - and the billion or so peeps around the world who say they're Catholic - is now without a Pope.
As early as next week, the cardinals of the world, scores of them, will commence their secret conclave to select the next Pope.
Also at 11, we take a closer look at the new fare and toll hikes for the rails and bridges of the MTA - they begin tomorrow. Ouch. Make that double ouch.
And we're in Harlem, where a 6-year-old boy was killed today when a truck turned into the crosswalk and hit him. The school crossing guard on duty was away for some reason. The truck driver, the guard, the boy's family - all victims in one way or another, in this tragic story.
We're also following any developments in the "sequestration" that's supposed to take effect tomorrow - $85 billion in federal budget cuts if the White House and Congressional Repubs don't reach a deal. And that seems unlikely at this hour. Many of the sky-is-falling predictions do not appear to be real, and many of the officials who were sounding the warnings are right now backing off their dire estimates. We'll see.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday 43 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New York City issues snow alert 20 min ago
- Christie appointee resigns amid probe 17 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- JFK customs seize cocaine in hair care products 3 min ago
- NY lawmakers to announce legislation preventing bridge tolls
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
43 min ago