Subway platform safety a costly endeavor
January 28, 2013 (WABC) -- So how much is a life worth? Is it worth $1 billion to cut down on the 55 deaths last year when people fell or were pushed or jumped from subway station platforms in New York City and onto the tracks and an oncoming train?
That's what the estimate is, $1 billion, to install sliding doors to block riders from the tracks. And the proposal was before the MTA today during a discussion about platform safety.
Is it worth an added 25 cents a ride? Or 50 cents? Or $1?
Seems unlikely given the financial problems of the MTA. And instead of those gates, which many people feel is the answer, the MTA says it will launch an expanded "public awareness campaign warning people to stay away from the tracks."
Already, in the public address announcements, you can hear the warning to stay away from the tracks. Will that prevent these deaths? Let's hope.
There's also talk about an "intrusion detection technology" to trigger an alarm if someone gets onto the track.
We'll have the latest tonight at 11.
We're also following big developments with the Boy Scouts, which has always had in place an outrageous ban on gay scouts. Now, after more than 100 years of scouting, they are "discussing potentially removing the national membership restriction regarding sexual orientation."
Welcome to the 21st Century. I'm just sayin'.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Liz Cho (in for Sade) and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- At least 2 dead, 22 hurt in East Harlem explosion 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 54 min ago
- Metro-North service changes due to East Harlem explosion 26 min ago
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East... 16 min ago
- Video: How will the East Harlem explosion affect... 26 min ago
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem 31 min ago
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15... 32 min ago
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion... 32 min ago
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination