Subway platform safety a costly endeavor
January 28, 2013 (WABC) -- So how much is a life worth? Is it worth $1 billion to cut down on the 55 deaths last year when people fell or were pushed or jumped from subway station platforms in New York City and onto the tracks and an oncoming train?
That's what the estimate is, $1 billion, to install sliding doors to block riders from the tracks. And the proposal was before the MTA today during a discussion about platform safety.
Is it worth an added 25 cents a ride? Or 50 cents? Or $1?
Seems unlikely given the financial problems of the MTA. And instead of those gates, which many people feel is the answer, the MTA says it will launch an expanded "public awareness campaign warning people to stay away from the tracks."
Already, in the public address announcements, you can hear the warning to stay away from the tracks. Will that prevent these deaths? Let's hope.
There's also talk about an "intrusion detection technology" to trigger an alarm if someone gets onto the track.
We'll have the latest tonight at 11.
We're also following big developments with the Boy Scouts, which has always had in place an outrageous ban on gay scouts. Now, after more than 100 years of scouting, they are "discussing potentially removing the national membership restriction regarding sexual orientation."
Welcome to the 21st Century. I'm just sayin'.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Liz Cho (in for Sade) and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92 3 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014