Subway platform safety a costly endeavor
January 28, 2013 (WABC) -- So how much is a life worth? Is it worth $1 billion to cut down on the 55 deaths last year when people fell or were pushed or jumped from subway station platforms in New York City and onto the tracks and an oncoming train?
That's what the estimate is, $1 billion, to install sliding doors to block riders from the tracks. And the proposal was before the MTA today during a discussion about platform safety.
Is it worth an added 25 cents a ride? Or 50 cents? Or $1?
Seems unlikely given the financial problems of the MTA. And instead of those gates, which many people feel is the answer, the MTA says it will launch an expanded "public awareness campaign warning people to stay away from the tracks."
Already, in the public address announcements, you can hear the warning to stay away from the tracks. Will that prevent these deaths? Let's hope.
There's also talk about an "intrusion detection technology" to trigger an alarm if someone gets onto the track.
We'll have the latest tonight at 11.
We're also following big developments with the Boy Scouts, which has always had in place an outrageous ban on gay scouts. Now, after more than 100 years of scouting, they are "discussing potentially removing the national membership restriction regarding sexual orientation."
Welcome to the 21st Century. I'm just sayin'.
We'll also have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Liz Cho (in for Sade) and me, tonight at 11.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos