Operation 7 Save A Life
January 25, 2013 (WABC) -- 58 deaths. 58 too many to be sure. But the lowest number of people killed in New York City because of fires in history.
The number is important to all of us, but especially urgent to those of us involved in Operation 7 Save A Life, WABC-TV's annual fire safety and prevention campaign.
We kicked off our 15th annual campaign yesterday, and tomorrow night at 7 p.m., it's my honor to host our half hour Operation 7 Save A Life program, on Ch. 7. It's an informational and educational half hour - watch with your family, because what we offer can and will save lives.
We're hoping that our efforts these years have helped drop the number of fire fatalities in the tri-state. We have passed out 670,000 smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to people who otherwise couldn't afford them. And these devices save lives. Our sponsor/partners - led by Kidde and Home Depot - have facilitated the donation and distribution of these detectors. It's a magnificent example of public/private partnerships, where good business also means doing good.
I hope you can watch the show.
And I hope you'll join us tonight at 11 for Eyewitness News. We'll have any breaking news of the night, plus Meteorologist Lee Goldberg's AccuWeather forecast that includes more cold and some snow tonight, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Diana Williams (in for Sade) and me, tonight at 11, right after 20/20.
Subscribe to my page on Facebook at facebook.com/billritter.wabc.
Follow my tweets at www.twitter.com/billritter7.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park